Company: Banfield, The Pet Hospital
Location: Grand Junction
Posted on: September 20, 2023
Locum VeterinarianSummary of Job Purpose and Function -The
primary purpose and function of the Relief Veterinarian is to
provide preventative care, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and
injuries of Pets.Description - ExternalEssential Responsibilities
- Ensure the Safety of Pets, clients and associates by utilizing
safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols and
maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam
rooms and labs.
- Obtain relevant information and history from clients, and
maintain proper and complete medical records.
- Educate clients about preventative care, Pet health needs, any
diagnosis or treatment, hospital services and other related
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service
including prescribing and administering preventative care for the
wellness needs of Pets and diagnosing and treating diseases and
injuries of Pets. -
- Effectively communication diagnosis and treatment plan to
veterinary medical team and client.
- Ensure local, state and federal laws are followed, including
proper maintenance of the controlled substance inventory log.
- Understand and follow state guidelines regarding duties of
veterinary assistants and licensed veterinary technicians.
- Other job duties as assigned.Hiring QualificationsCapabilities
and Experience (can do)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Communication skills - Reads, writes and speaks fluent English,
using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. -Correctly spells
commonly used English words and job specific terms. -Demonstrates
exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. -Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order. -
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic
surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. -Unusually decisive in
handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical
- Client service skills - Consistently ensures the team provides
the client with attentive, courteous and informative service.
-Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. -Can
- Compassionate commitment to Pet care - Ensures hospital teams
confidently present Pet treatment recommendations and associated
fees as an advocate for the Pet, gaining the client's agreement to
proceed with the treatment most appropriate to the Pet's current
condition and long term health. -Act as an advocate for the
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer
and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook,
- Management ability - Effectively enforces policies. -Achieves
high productive output while maintaining high morale. -Encourages
efforts toward common goals. -Understands and utilizes a
coaching/counseling philosophy for performance management.Attitudes
- Initiative - shows willingness and aptitude to use own
discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to
problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes
or procedures. -Takes on additional responsibility when both big
and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of
Banfield, Pet Hospital. -Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating
and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant
information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can
do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness,
and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
stressful situations.Special Working Conditions - -
- Ability to be confident around Pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds,
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40
hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This
position requires special hours including working weekends and
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering,
mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking
the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral,
or diagram form and to solve problems involving several
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform
duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well
as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity
with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a
keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of Pets that may
bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation,
biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Minimal travel required, possibly for vendor visits and
associate education.Experience, Education and/or Training -
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degree
- License in good standing with the applicable state veterinary
- License with the Drug Enforcement Agency required.
- Proven ability to perform all basic surgeries, including use of
all standard medical instruments and equipment.Benefits &
- Pay Range for this role is $45.00-110.00/hour. -Specific pay
rates are dependent on experience, skill level, and education of
the candidate, as well as geographic location. Pay rates for
salaried positions may differ based on schedule worked.
- Banfield offers an industry competitive benefits package and
continues to invest in and evolve benefits programs that meet the
health, wellness and financial needs of our associates. We are
excited to announce our new Paid Parental Leave for 2021. Our
benefits package also includes:
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Basic Life (company paid) & Supplemental Life
- Short and Long Term Disability (company paid)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Benefits*
- Legal Plan*
- Health Savings Account with company funding
- 401(k) with generous company match*
- Paid Time Off & Holidays*
- Student Debt Program (for FT DVMs)
- Continuing Education allowance for eligible positions*
- Free Optimum Wellness Plans for your pets' preventive and
general care**Benefits eligibility is based on employment status.
FT associates are eligible for all benefits programs (Student Debt
Program available for FT DVMs only); PT associates are eligible for
those benefits highlighted with an asterisk*.Banfield Pet Hospital
strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and
promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield
Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected
veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state
and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every
Banfield location.WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER.Banfield Pet Hospital - strongly supports and values the
uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where
diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status
as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital
complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield
Keywords: Banfield, The Pet Hospital, Grand Junction , Veterinarian, Other , Grand Junction, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!