Job Title: Medical Insurance Biller
Supervisory Role: None
Reports To: Hospital Billing Manager
Position Pay Range: $15.24 - $21.34
About Western Healthcare Alliance
Western Healthcare Alliance (WHA) began in 1989 when a small group
of rural Colorado hospitals decided that there was power in
numbers. Today, WHA has 31 healthcare members in Colorado and Utah.
Of these 31 members, 21 own Healthcare Management, a separate
entity, that provides revenue cycle solutions to healthcare
entities. Developing and managing a menu of member-owned and
partner programs, WHA saves members money that helps them remain
sustainable and viable in their communities.
Responsible for gathering information, data entry and completing
the billing & follow up process to all third party payers for
appropriate Central Business Office clients or relaying all the
information as a Liaison between sub-contracting vendors and the
clients, whichever may apply.
- Generates, submits and corrects all needed information to
complete the UB04 and HCFA 1500 billing forms for processing all
- Performs manual data entry functions of all charge and
transaction data, when necessary.
- Performs all follow-up functions required to resolve
outstanding insurance balances for all payers.
- Assists modifiers and charge error resolutions, maintains
current knowledge of billing practices in compliance with all State
and Federal regulations based on client approval.
- Develops and communicates training/education to client staff,
as needed, to ensure a timely and accurate billing process.
- Responds to inquires as needed to resolve account balances,
participates in all mandatory education/training requirements of
Central Business Office.
- Complies with all HIPAA and Western Healthcare
Alliance/Healthcare Management procedures to ensure privacy and
security for personal health information (PHI), treats clients,
patients and their families with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrates competency as appropriate to training, all other
duties as assigned by supervisor or Manager, Central Business
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate
the following competencies:
- Project Management
- Customer Service
- Oral Communication
- Team Work
- Written Communication
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
High school diploma or equivalent. Knowledge of both hospital and
physician billing practices required. Two years of prior billing
experience in healthcare organization strongly preferred. Coding
and regulatory knowledge preferred.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- The noise level in the work environment is usually
Typical Physical Demands
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to functional range.
- Requires ability to sit or stand for periods of time.
- Requires manual finger dexterity and verbal communication
- Able to operate an automobile and possess or be eligible for a
valid Colorado Drivers License.
Must be able to function in an office setting with background
noise and distractions.