Company: Veterans Health Administration
Location: Grand Junction
Posted on: November 18, 2021
The position performs duties to assist one individual, and in some
cases the subordinate staff of that individual, by performing
general office work auxiliary to the work of the organization. The
position is the principal clerical or administrative support
position in the office, operating independently of any other such
position in the office.
Learn more about this agency
- Accepting applications
- Open & closing dates
10/21/2021 to 11/10/2021
$39,311 - $62,894 per year
- Pay scale & grade
GS 6 - 8
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Grand Junction, CO 1 vacancy
- Telework eligible
- Travel Required
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Relocation expenses reimbursed
- Appointment type
- Work schedule
- Promotion potential
8 - 8
- Job family (Series)
- Supervisory status
- Security clearance
- Drug test
- Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
- Trust determination process
- Announcement number
- Control number
This job is open to
- Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or
- Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
- Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
- Individuals with disabilities
- Military spouses
- Peace Corps & AmeriCorps Vista
- Special authorities
Individuals eligible under a special authority not listed above,
but defined in the federal hiring regulations.
- Veterans Clarification from the agency
Federal employees (serving on a career/career-conditional
appointment or covered under OPM's Interchange Agreement);
Reinstatement/Transfer Eligible, 30% Disabled Vets, VRAs, Severely
Handicapped; Preference eligible veterans or veterans separated
from the armed forces under honorable conditions after three or
more years of continuous active service. ***FIRST CONSIDERATION
WILL BE GIVEN TO CURRENT VA WCHCS EMPLOYEES***
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Receives calls and screens visitors and telephone calls, i.e.
identity, purpose of call and relative importance in relation to
availability of staff members. Takes messages and/or provides
information as to availability of the supervisor. Refers matters to
appropriate staff on the basis of knowledge of the various
organizational components and individual responsibility.
- Reviews and prepares all congressional correspondence received
by the activity for necessary action. Composes correspondence on
own initiative, based on a knowledge of superiors views and
- Types into final form from written material, brief instructions
and/or voice recordings pertaining to intra-agency and public
correspondence, narrative and tabulated reports, travel documents,
personnel actions, etc., using manual, electric, or automated
- Assists supervisor's subordinates in the procedural aspects of
expediting the work of the office, including distributing the
workload of clerical help to take care of fluctuating
- Takes meeting minutes accurately, and captures action items
from the meeting.
- Provides information within standard office procedure,
generally pertaining to any of the duty areas herein described and
within caller's "need to know". Authorized to give out
administrative and technical knowledge to callers upon
determination of their right to receive it.
- Reviews documents prepared for signature of or requiring
coordination by management for appropriate tone; conformance with
regulations, grammar, format and special policies of the activity
and completeness of information.
- Returns inadequate communications to originator for correction
when not in conformance with known policies, or when correspondence
regulations have not been followed.
- Prepares regular and special reports such as, but not limited
to, time/attendance, leave, and degree of use of filing space,
- Provides assistance for a variety of problems and inquiries
which are received in person, telephonically or by referral from
other secretaries in the organization.
- Responds to requests for information and/or develops
one-of-a-kind reports covering organizational or technically
oriented matters when information is available in office records
- Follows up on projects resulting from conferences to insure
that schedules are met and reports progress to managers.
- Keeps the superiors informed of important details of the
office, visitors, and various events where failure to recognize
significant matters might impair the effective operation of the
- Decided whether the importance of business such as to require
personal attention of superiors or referral to the appropriate
division concerned with specific subject.
- Establishes priorities, sets up reschedules or refuses
appointments, accepts or declines invitations to meetings and
arranges for representation by a subordinate official. Controls
activities schedule and reminds managers of appointments.
- Advises and instructs subordinate offices through discussions
with author or typist on all phases of correspondence procedures to
obtain higher degree of compliance with general activity policies
and correspondence regulations.
- Processes incoming correspondence and material. Screens
correspondence for matters which can be acted on personally and
takes necessary action.
- Obtains information required by management from various sources
within the VA, requiring a comprehensive knowledge of the VA's
complex organizational structure.
- Refers to supervisor those cases which the incumbent is aware
supervisor will want to act on personally or be made aware of.
- Reply to general inquiries not requiring a specialized
knowledge of programs and projects under supervisor's control.
- Researches regulations applicable to the subject for
presentation in one package along with any previous correspondence
on the same subject.
- Reviews and proofreads outgoing correspondence, completed work,
and other documents for format, policy conformance, and
typographical and grammatical accuracy and ensures that all
necessary background material is attached as circumstance
- Gives advice and instructions to subordinate offices through
discussion with author or staff to obtain higher degree of
compliance with general installation policies and correspondence
regulations. Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to
the full performance level without further competition when all
regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met.
Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to
the full performance level.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30am
Telework: Not Authorized
Virtual: Not Authorized
Position Description/PD#: Secretary/PD123850
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not Authorized
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a
testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for
illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be
tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is
a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans
Affairs Personnel Qualifications
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements
by the closing date of this announcement, 11/10/2021.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal
employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks
must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of
this announcement. For a GS-06 position you must have served 52
weeks at the GS-05. For a GS-07 position you must have served 52
weeks at the GS-06. For a GS-08 position you must have served 52
weeks at the GS-07. The grade may have been in any occupation, but
must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows
your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your
application materials..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Veterans Health Administration, Grand Junction , Secretary, Administration, Clerical , Grand Junction, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!